Bowden Farm Wagon Cottage
Located in Shaftesbury, Dorset
Characterful country cottage right in the heart of Dorset, perfect for couples getaways. Stunning landscape views along with quaint market villages right on your doorstep.
- Sleeps: 2
- Bedrooms: 1
- Bathrooms: 1
- Pet Friendly: 1
Comfortably nestled into the grounds of a farm amongst the Dorset hills this cottage is perfect for quiet couples’ break. With the picturesque rolling hills and dales of Dorset right on your doorstep, these cottages are perfect for anyone with a love of the outdoors and great rural walks. The quaint market towns of Shaftesbury, Gold Hill and Gillingham are both within a 5.5 mile radius. With an abundance of shops, pubs, markets and wonderful walks, you’ll be spoilt for choice on your holiday.
Stepping through the front door, you’ll find a welcoming open-plan lounge/kitchen/dining area. The kitchen comes complete with all you need for a self-catering escape to the country including an electric oven and hob, fridge/freezer compartment and a washing machine. The lounge area has ample comfortable seating, a nest of coffee tables and a TV/DVD to relax and enjoy your favourite films and TV shows on. Upstairs you will find the bedroom with a king-size bed and an en-suite bathroom, complete with shower over bath and WC. The property has a night storage heating system for cosy evenings in.
Outside there is a rustic patio area with outside seating and a gorgeous view of the Dorset countryside. Home to one of the largest collections of private horse-drawn vehicles in the UK, there are two examples adjacent to the property for you to enjoy.
Dogs are charged at £20 each per full or part week.
- Beautiful rustic farm cottage, sleeping two guests in comfort
- Patio area with stunning countryside view right on your doorstep
- Dog friendly with lots of walks available around the picturesque Dorset Hills and valleys
- Easily accessible in a peaceful and secluded location
- Close to Gillingham, with a range of different shops and pubs
- Cosy interior design with a homely feel for a romantic break
- 1 bedroom king size bed
- 1 en suite bathroom with shower over bath and WC
- Kitchen: electric oven and hob, washer/dryer, microwave, and fridge/freezer compartment
- Night storage heating included
- TV/DVD and Wi-Fi included
- Visit the on-site collection of vintage carriages
- 1 small dog welcome by arrangement
- Enclosed garden/patio with vintage carriages parked close by
- Pub and garage shop 1½ miles, shop 3 miles
- Situated in a small complex of properties
Shaftesbury is one of the highest and oldest towns in England, a beautiful town sitting in a glorious landscape. The town is the home of Gold Hill, made famous by the “Hovis” advert and with views across the Blackmore Vale and thatched cottages, it is very picturesque. The main shopping is around the High Street where there are lots of small, independent retailers as well as coffee shops and cafes and you will find craft shops down the side streets. Shaftsbury market takes place on Thursdays and sells local produce, all against the backdrop of Gold Hill and spectacular views.
In July, the Gold Hill Fair is a weekend event with music, dance and more. In June, join in with the Shaftesbury festival. This is a weeklong celebration, enjoy music, entertainment and even dog shows - fun for all the family. At the end of August visit the Gillingham and Shaftesbury Show. This has over 500 exhibitors and a host of events making this a fantastic day out for all the family, jam-packed with entertainment for all ages.
Longleat House, the Safari and Adventure Park, is a great day out and is just a 30 minute drive away. You can see lions, tigers, wolves, cheetahs and a whole host of other animals. There are seasonal events and tours on offer or visit the house and gardens. Explore Old Wardour Castle, run by English Heritage. The castle featured in Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, find the turrets and the views from the top of the castle to beautiful countryside beyond.