Located in Buckland Newton, Dorset
Characterful riverside property, in a beautiful village setting and ideally placed for easy access to Dorchester and the Jurassic Coast. It s the perfect spot for a relaxed family holiday.
- Sleeps: 7
- Bedrooms: 4
- Bathrooms: 2
- Pet Friendly: 2
This charming and unique detached cottage is set in a quiet village location alongside the river in Piddletrenthide, perfect for a peaceful retreat. Located in the beautiful Piddle Valley, many walking and cycling routes can be found leading from the door and take in the picturesque landscape that this area is renowned for. It couldn’t be easier to try out the friendly local pub, which can be found just down the road, or in minutes you can reach the county town of Dorchester, which has a great selection of restaurants, cinemas, pubs and shops. Why not take a trip to the coast and visit the sandy beach and historic harbour in Weymouth or go fossil hunting in Charmouth.
From the gravelled parking area next to the cottage, a short walk along the lane leads you to the front door, which opens into a spacious and welcoming hallway with a dining area. The calming colours, character and charm of this traditional cottage is sure to make you feel right at home, with low ceilings and original beams to be admired throughout. Immediately to your left is a cosy snug with Smart TV. Heading across the hallway you will pass a separate WC before finding the stylish country kitchen. Overlooking the garden, this delightful room is an inviting space for the whole family to enjoy and is well-equipped with an electric oven and hob, fridge/freezer, microwave, dishwasher and washer/dryer. To the right of the hallway is a stunning lounge with a Smart TV and an abundance of character features, including a wood burner and exposed beams. Once back in the hallway, a set of winding stairs lead up to the landing on the first floor, where you will find a charming king-size bedroom, with a beautiful en-suite bathroom where you can take a soak in the freestanding slipper bath, with shower and WC. Adjacent to here is a further double bedroom furnished with care and overlooking the river to the front of the property. Next is the bathroom, which has a shower over the bath and WC. Two steps lead you to a generous twin bedroom that overlooks the garden and next door is a single bedroom with an additional pull out single bed (available on request at time of booking), which completes this floor.
Heading outside from the kitchen you will firstly find an inviting terrace with a table and chairs. Ideally positioned behind the cottage it’s the perfect space to enjoy a quiet meal, or perhaps drinks in the evening. Leading on from here is a large lawn with a summer house, sure to keep all the family entertained. The river meanders through the garden (care to be taken with children and pets), creating the perfect setting for tranquil and relaxed days. Heading back to the side of the property, there is off-road parking for four cars.
Dogs are charged at £20 each per full or part week.
- A charming rural retreat set in the Piddle Valley with many walking and cycling routes from the property
- Plenty of room for all the family to unwind in this spacious, traditional thatched cottage
- Relax in the garden and listen to the soothing sound of the River Piddle which meanders through the grounds
- 4 bedrooms 1 king-size, 1 double, 1 twin and 1 single with additional pull out bed (available on request at time of booking)
- Sleeps 7 1 (additional single pull out bed in a single bedroom, available on request)
- 1 en suite bathroom with slipper bath, shower and WC; 1 bathroom with a shower over bath and WC; 1 separate WC downstairs
- Wood burner (first basket of logs included)
- Electric oven and hob, fridge/freezer, microwave, dishwasher and washer/dryer
- Electric and central heating included
- Bed linen and towels included
- Off-road parking for 4 cars
- Wi-Fi included
- 2 dogs welcome
- Shop 2 miles, pub within walking distance
- Bicycle storage available
- Smart TV in lounge and snug
- Gas BBQ available (strictly no charcoal BBQ s allowed due to the thatch)
- Please note river runs through the grounds and is unfenced (care to be taken with children and pets)
Buckland Newton is a pretty village in Dorset on the edge of Dorset's Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The village has a playing field and playground as well as a village shop, post office and pub. There are an abundance of country walks to discover here that will take you off the beaten track and allow you to enjoy the countryside and views.
For those who love action, then visit the Henley Hillbillies. Here you can drive quad bikes, Polaris Ace buggies, Mini Mavriks and even hover crafts. Or try your hand at shooting with the option for clay pigeon, archery, crossbows and air rifles. Nearby towns include Sherborne and Dorchester with a wealth of attractions. Visit Cerne Abbas and enjoy a relaxing lunch in the beer gardens of a choice of three pubs, all are dog friendly. Explore its famous chalk giant and wonderful countryside and take in the wonderful views surrounding you.
Those who like horticulture will appreciate Minterne Gardens in the nearby village of Minterne Magna. Set in over two hundred acres of stunning landscapes, streams, and cascades, this is a garden to remember. You can break up exploring by relaxing over a refreshment from the cafe and enjoy the views over the lake. Dorchester is a 20 minute car journey away, so here you can experience the sedate country way of life, knowing that the hustle of bustle of town life is never far away.