Higher Holcombe Farm
Located in Lyme Regis, Dorset
The location of this charming period cottage is superb for those who want somewhere in a quiet, beautiful setting which is only a few minutes drive from the seaside town of Lyme Regis.
- Sleeps: 6
- Bedrooms: 3
- Bathrooms: 2
- Pet Friendly: 2
The cottage is set back from the country lane up a long, private drive shared only with the owners, making it very safe for children and dogs. Your four-legged friends are very welcome and guests can take advantage of some excellent walks in and around Holcombe, including a very popular walk along the River Lim to Lyme Regis. Located in a picturesque valley close to the Devon/Dorset border, this delightful property is the perfect base for touring the region. The Jurassic Coast, a World Heritage Site, is nearby with easy access to coastal walks, beaches and fossil-rich cliffs. The upcoming film, Ammonite, which stars Kate Winslet was recently filmed in nearby Lyme Regis and tells the story of a Victorian fossil hunter. Lyme Regis offers a range of shops, boutiques and eateries or take a stroll along the seafront promenade to the historic Cobb and harbour. River Cottage HQ is two miles north of the cottage and there are many other local attractions including Beer Caves, Seaton Tramway, Crealy Adventure Park, Bicton Park, Killerton and Knightshayes Court. The nearby town of Axminster has direct train connections to Exeter and London Waterloo.
The cottage itself is a fully self-contained wing of an early Georgian farmhouse with its own entrances, front and rear, and a very private, sunny courtyard at the back where there is garden seating and a barbeque. Inside, the cottage has been tastefully furnished and has a warm, welcoming atmosphere. From the off-road parking area, three stone steps lead up to the main entrance which takes you straight into the inviting lounge. Here there is a large inglenook fireplace with a cosy wood burner to snuggle up in front of during the cooler months and a TV/DVD. From the lounge, a door takes you through to the kitchen/dining room which is a lovely space for all the family to enjoy light snacks or hearty meals. The kitchen is equipped with an electric oven and hob, microwave, fridge/freezer and dishwasher. A washing machine is located in a useful external storage/utility room which is accessed from the private courtyard. Also on the ground floor is a bathroom which a bath, shower attachment and WC. There are three bedrooms on the first floor which are reached via steep traditional cottage stairs accessed from the lounge. There is a spacious master double bedroom with slightly reduced headroom and two twin rooms. Completing the first floor is the shower room with WC.
Stepping out of the kitchen and into the courtyard, this private area is fully enclosed with seating and BBQ, perfect to sit and enjoy the rural atmosphere. Ample off-road parking is available for at least 4 cars in the front courtyard.
- Hidden away in quiet, rural surroundings in a beautiful valley yet just two miles from Lyme Regis
- Wonderful walking routes to explore from the property towards the coast or in the verdant countryside
- Relax in the enclosed courtyard on a summer evening, the perfect spot for al fresco meals and drinks
- 3 bedrooms 1 double with sloping ceiling and 2 twins
- Bathrooms 1 bathroom with bath, shower attachment and WC on the ground floor; 1 shower room with WC on the first floor
- Kitchen electric oven and hob, microwave, fridge/freezer and dishwasher
- External storage/utility room with washing machine and room for surfboards, beach and walking gear
- TV and DVD in the lounge
- Wood burner
- Steep cottage style stairs
- 2 well-behaved dogs welcome, more by arrangement
- Electric and central heating included
- Wi-Fi included
- Towels are not provided
- Off-road parking for 4 cars
- Children s playground and tennis courts 1 mile
- A circular walking route around the property with the countryside, woodland and scenic views 30 minutes
- Direct off-road riverside walk into the centre of Lyme Regis around 45 minutes
- Beach within 2 miles in Lyme Regis, shop and pub 1 mile
Lyme Regis, nicknamed 'The Pearl of Dorset' lies on the World Heritage Jurassic Coast and is near Charmouth and the Devon border. Lyme Regis is a historic seaside resort and fishing port and boasts breathtaking scenery, making it a resort for all seasons. The town is famous for its fossils, often found on its beaches and cliffs. In fact, it was in the cliffs that the famous Ichthyosaur was discovered by Mary Anning, the daughter of a local fossil collector. She went on to find a complete Plesiosaur and the well-preserved remains of a flying reptile. Book a fossil walks with local experts to ensure you are both safe and full of knowledge by the end. The famous harbour wall known as 'The Cobb' featured in the film and novel of The French Lieutenant's Woman.
Lyme Regis is a great place to eat out and has a wide variety covering the globe as well as price. From traditional fish and chips to Asian fusion, Indian, Italian, Spanish and British. For foodies try Robin Wylde and their amazing taste menus. The Whole Hog will have you feeling full with excellent roasts while Red Panda offers Asian as well as a traditional British menu. For a proper wood-fired pizza try Pocco Pizza.