Sea View – Acton
Located in Langton Matravers, Dorset
Set in an enviable location in the rural Dorset hamlet of Acton, this characterful property makes an ideal base for family holidays exploring all that the coast and countryside has to offer
- Sleeps: 8
- Bedrooms: 4
- Bathrooms: 3
- Pet Friendly: 2
This elevated spot is surrounded by countryside cared for by the National Trust and offers a unique ambience as well as wonderful views over Swanage Bay and beyond. Lovers of the outdoors can explore the nature reserves that are within easy reach including Hartland Moor and RSPB Stoborough Heath, or perhaps plan a walk on the South West Coast Path. The local area is also steeped in history with the pretty village of Corfe Castle and its ruins being a must-see. Should you wish to spend a day in a traditional seaside town, head to Swanage with its Victorian heritage, promenade and steam railway. Bournemouth and Poole are also easily accessible via the Sandbanks ferry.
The hamlet of Acton is accessed via an unmade road. From the parking area, a gated path leads to the main entrance into this detached property built with traditional Purbeck Stone from the local quarry. The property is adjacent to the owners’ home, yet with privacy assured. Once inside you are met with a welcoming hallway leading to a cosy snug with TV, utility area with washing machine and tumble dryer, plus a shower room with WC. To the right of the entrance hall is the kitchen/breakfast room. This well-equipped space has an electric range style cooker, American style fridge/freezer, microwave and dishwasher. With the first of many wonderful sea views on offer here, preparing meals will be a pleasure. Just next door is a step down to an inviting dining room with a wood burner, making it the perfect spot to enjoy leisurely meals with the family. A door leads from here to a small inner hallway and the cosy lounge, which has a lovely homely ambience, wood burner and TV/DVD so you can relax in front of your favourite shows. A steep staircase rises from the inner hallway to the first floor, where you will find a bright and airy twin room with fabulous views, a feature fireplace and a selection of books to enjoy. Next, there is a stylish bathroom with a contemporary bath, separate shower and WC. Just along the landing, there is a step to an inviting double bedroom, where you can wake up to views of the countryside and coast. From the first floor landing a narrow and steep staircase takes you to the second floor where there are two bedrooms set into the eaves, one is a charming twin decorated with a nautical style and the second is a king-size furnished in calming colours and boasting its own en-suite shower and WC. Due to the age of the property, there are changes of level and areas of restricted head height throughout, which only adds to its character and charm.
Stepping outside from the entrance hallway you will find a large lawn with mature shrubs and garden furniture immediately to the front of the property, where you can relax and take in the views. The garden is enclosed by a low stone wall to really make the most of the setting (care to be taken with children and pets). To the side of the property is an off-road parking space for one car. Up to 3 further off-road parking spaces are available on request and is situated approx. 100m walk from the property.
Dogs are charged at £20 each per full or part week.
- A homely property built in the mid-1800s and offering wonderful far-reaching views
- Set within the pretty hamlet of Acton, from here you can see the Isle of Wight on a clear day
- Spend your days exploring the array of walking routes through the surrounding countryside
- Walk across the fields to Langton Matravers, or visit the famous Square & Compass at Worth Matravers
- 4 bedrooms 1 king-size, 1 double and 2 twins
- 1 bathroom, 1 shower room and 1 en suite shower room
- Range style electric oven and hob, microwave, dishwasher and American style fridge/freezer
- Utility room with washing machine and tumble dryer
- Electric and central heating included
- 2 wood burners (the first basket of logs included)
- Wi-Fi included
- 2 dogs welcome
- Off-road parking for 1 car (up to 3 further parking spaces are available 150m from the property available on request)
- Beach 3 miles, shop 2 miles and pub within walking distance
- TV/DVD available in the lounge and TV in the snug (both with basic Sky package)
- Please note there is a rural campsite nearby that operates during the summer months
- This should not affect your stay however please be aware there is a small chance of occasional noise
Langton Matravers is a village located between Swanage and Corfe Castle. The village has a village shop and post office. The village also has two pubs which offer traditional home-cooked food. Visit the local museum and discover the history of the quarries in the village. There are many footpaths in Langton Matravers, making it a great place for walking. The most popular trail is along the South West Coast Path to take in the sights of The Dancing Ledge. This is a natural formation of rock ledge, which at times makes the water seem as if it is dancing. Visit Keates Quarry and discover the many limestone dinosaur footprints. For a great family day out visit the Putlake Adventure Farm and let the kids explore while you relax with a coffee.