Well Court & Cottage
Located in Corfe Castle, Dorset
Set in the heart of the village of Corfe Castle, this magnificent Grade II listed 16th-century property offers spacious accommodation for a large family or group seeking a sumptuous country retreat.
- Sleeps: 19
- Bedrooms: 9
- Bathrooms: 5
- Pet Friendly: 2
This Grade II listed country house offers extensive accommodation over several levels. The main house sleeps 11 guests, while the adjoining self-contained three-bedroom cottage sleeps an additional eight guests. Corfe Castle is a beautiful village with a wide range of independent shops, cafes, restaurants, and pubs, and surrounds the ruins of a 1,000-year-old castle, which offers spectacular views across the Purbeck Hills. Local attractions include the Blue Pool (3 miles), the Purbeck Mineral and Mining Museum (1 mile) and Kilwood Nature Reserve (5 miles). Heading to the coast you can explore beautiful beaches, quiet coves and charming villages, including Lulworth Cove (12 miles), Kimmeridge Bay (6 miles) and Winspit Quarry (5 miles). The popular seaside town of Swanage (5.5 miles) is known for its sandy beach, traditional promenade and pier, or you could catch a ferry from Studland (5.5 miles) to explore the beautiful Brownsea Island.
Entering the impressive main house from the street, you will find a spacious and elegant triple aspect drawing room with an open fire, plenty of comfortable seating and floor to ceiling arched windows with garden views. There s a large dining room seating up to 16 with an additional table available for larger numbers of guests, where you can meet for a celebratory meal. This room features a piano and an open fire set in an impressive 16th century Purbeck stone fireplace. The large and stylish kitchen/breakfast room features an oak floor, polished Purbeck Stone worktops, an AGA style oven, an additional electric oven, hob, American style fridge/freezer, ice maker, washing machine, microwave and dishwasher, plus French doors to the courtyard. The dryer can be found in the utility room. Exploring further, you can relax in the charming snug with a TV/DVD, an extensive selection of videos/DVD’s/books/board games, a wood burner, an original bread oven in a large beamed inglenook and French doors to the garden. There are also two ground floor WCs.
Going upstairs you will find a large gallery landing with comfortable seating, TV and a dolls house (to be used under supervision and at own risk). The landing also has a large leather top desk with a printer for guests use. You will find six bedrooms. The large master suite has a 7 bed, a round feature window with views of Corfe Castle and an en suite bathroom with bath, separate shower and WC. The anteroom to this room provides access to a single room looking out onto the courtyard. A staircase leads to a twin room with a peephole window with views over the village and which has an en suite shower room with WC. There s also a double room with an en suite bathroom with a shower over the bath and a WC, a further twin room set in the attic, and another double room with an en suite bathroom with bath and WC.
Entering the adjacent cottage from the inner courtyard, a few steps lead you down into the kitchen/diner. This attractive room features a lovely dining area and is fully equipped with an oven, dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, fridge, freezer and microwave. The large L shaped lounge has plenty of seating and a beautiful stone fireplace with an open fire. Upstairs there are three bedrooms: two double rooms one with a view over the courtyard and a bunk bedroom with two sets of bunks, ideal for four children. There is also a bathroom complete with a shower over the bath and a WC.
Moving outside, the house surrounds a charming courtyard with a raised fountain, climbers and shrubs. Behind the house is a terrace where you can enjoy an alfresco meal. The gently sloping gardens provide both formal and informal grounds with a variety of seating areas, including a dining pavilion with a large low-level fire pit and a BBQ. There are also extensive lawns, orchards and an enclosed pond as well as a children s swing. A roll-top door to the side of the property leads to a large parking area for up to seven cars (one private parking space is reserved for the owner). Children must be supervised in and around the fountain and pond areas.
- A fabulous and historic property set in a beautiful village
- Perfect for a large group or family to enjoy a celebration
- Ideal for exploring Corfe Castle
- Within easy reach of Lulworth Cove and Studland beaches
- Sit back and enjoy the extensive grounds and gardens
- This is an idyllic holiday home in glorious surroundings
- Well Court (the main house, sleeps 11 people and can be booked on its own): 6 bedrooms master suite with 7 bed, 1 single bedroom (accessed via the master suite anteroom), 1 double room with 6 bed, 1 double room with 5 bed and 2 twin rooms
- 4 bathrooms 1 en suite bathroom with bath, shower and WC (master suite), 1 en suite bathroom with shower over bath and WC (double room with 6 bed), 1 en suite bathroom with bath and WC (double with 5 bed), 1 en suite shower room with WC (twin bedroom)
- 2 ground floor WCs
- AGA oven, electric oven, 2 ring gas hob, American style fridge/freezer, ice maker, microwave and dishwasher
- Utility room with washing machine and tumble dryer
- Extensive gardens with terraces, dining pavilion, outdoor furniture, BBQs (charcoal/wood), pond and children s swing
- Fountain courtyard with seating
- Off-road parking for 7 cars (please note the owner uses a parking space at the top of the drive)
- 2 dogs welcome, further by arrangement (dogs must be kept out of the Drawing Room and off the furniture and out of the bedrooms)
- Woodburner and 2 open fires (logs included)
- Central heating included plus Aga
- Electric included
- Wi-Fi included (due to the thickness of the internal walls, not all rooms receive a Wi Fi signal)
- 2 cots and 2 highchairs upon request
- Beaches 4 miles
- Shops and pubs a few minutes walk
- Well Court is the main house and sleeps 11 guests, it can be booked on its own
- The adjoining cottage can only be booked in conjunction with the house, thus providing accommodation for 19 guests in total
- Well Court Cottage (sleeps 8 people and can only be booked with the main house): 3 bedrooms 2 double rooms with 5 bed, 1 bedroom with 2 sets of bunk beds
- 1 bathroom with shower over bath and WC
- Oven, fridge, freezer, microwave, dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer
- Central heating included
- Open fire
- Please note pets are permitted in the main house but not in the cottage dogs must be kept out of the Drawing Room, are not allowed on furniture and must be kept out of the bedrooms
Corfe Castle is a small, picturesque village nestled in the Isle of Purbeck. The ruins of Corfe Castle provide the backdrop to the village and is very popular with visitors. Walking around the village there local craft shops to explore and plenty of tea rooms with homemade scones and cakes. Enid Blyton holidayed here often and some of the areas appear fondly in her books. Enid explored the ruins in 1814 and it's believed she arrived by steam train on the Swanage Railway. Corfe Castle became her inspiration for Errin Castle in the Famous Five book. Take one of the many trails in Corfe itself, download a treasure map and away you go on your own adventure.
Built in 1086 but destroyed in 1646, some of the ruined stone appear in the buildings in the village. The ruins are owned by The National Trust and are full of history and fascinating facts. During the day, history comes alive with expert talks and demonstrations. In the evening, with the castle lit up, outdoor performances will wow you. If you want to see what the castle would have looked like in its heyday, then visit the Model Village which depicts life as it was in 1086. Sat in beautiful magical gardens, experience what life was like.
If you want to stay in a village that not only is peaceful, but steeped in history, then look no further. In addition, is the knowledge that the busier towns of Swanage and Wareham are nearby.